Baldwin EMC supports a balanced approach to generating power from renewable sources to promote clean air and a healthy environment. While the bulk of our power generation has traditionally depended on fossil fuels, working with our wholesale energy supplier, PowerSouth Energy Cooperative, we’ve been able to drastically alter our energy mix. In fact, much of our electricity is now generated from methane gas and hydropower, and by 2026, coal will only account for around six percent of Baldwin EMC’s energy mix. Additionally, solar power will soon be added to the mix with an 80 megawatt large-scale solar project scheduled to come online in 2022. Through our commitment to the environment and our communities, together we can make a difference.
Are you considering purchasing an electric vehicle?
Take a look at our Electric Vehicles page for resources to make an informed decision.
Have you ever wondered where our energy comes from? Dive into our Alabama Living series of articles about the diverse resources that power your home or business!
* Nuclear options offer fresh sources for power
* Solar project provides renewable energy
* Natural gas takes the lead
* Hydropower is an often overlooked renewable resource
* Compressed air energy storage technology: Generating electricity out of thin air
Our Environmental Commitment
Baldwin EMC will promote conservation of energy and natural resources and protection of the environment in the electric utility industry.
- Baldwin EMC will deliver power to its members in a cost-effective and energy-efficient manner.
- Baldwin EMC will promote energy conservation practices in the operation of all its facilities.
- Baldwin EMC will educate its members and communities on the benefits of energy conservation and environmental stewardship.
- Baldwin EMC will use environmentally friendly work practices and procedures.
- Baldwin EMC will support and encourage cost-effective development of renewable energy technologies.
- Baldwin EMC will continue to support environmental programs and projects in our communities.
Through our commitment to the environment and our communities we can make a difference.