Baldwin EMC representatives are reminding members to avoid releasing any information over the phone to callers claiming to represent Baldwin EMC and demanding money. The co-op learned of another attempt today in which the member’s caller ID was spoofed to have the Baldwin EMC name appear. Please do NOT give out any information on calls you didn’t initiate, no matter how legitimate the call may seem. Baldwin EMC will NOT require you to pay by credit card over the phone. You always have options, including contacting us directly at (251) 989-6247 or (800) 837-3374.
As a reminder, phone scams typically involve:
- Callers threatening power disconnection if payment is not received immediately;
- Callers asking members to pay via credit card, a prepaid debit card or wire transfer.
Please be aware that these are not legitimate calls from Baldwin EMC. While we do use phone contacts to communicate with members, we will not demand payment over the phone.
If you receive a call like this:
- Don’t give out any personal information or agree to make any payments.
- End the call as quickly as possible.
- Report it to Baldwin EMC by calling (251) 989-6247 or (800) 837-3374.